Thursday, October 3, 2013

Did You Miss Me?

I haven't posted in a very long time. Life has just been super busy! But now it is fall, the time of year that I love, and now that it is cooler bakiong and crafting are on my agenda!!

Yesterday I made my first "fall recipe", Butternut Squash Soup. It is one of my favorite soups, and I have played around with different ways of making it, and I think I finally got it just right! So here is the recipe!

Welcome Back Fall Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:
1 Large Butternut squash cut in 1/4s
Olive Oil
salt for sprinkling
1 appled cut in 1/4s
2 shallots with the skin peeled off
1 can chicken broth
1 cup of white wine (or apple juice)
1 tsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)
1 cup of milk

Place the squash, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt, apple and shallots in a roasting pan. Pour one cup of water into the pan. Roast at 350 degrees for about an hour, or until squash is tender (keep an eye on the apples, take them out early if they need to be taken out).
When it is cool enough to touch, scoop out the squash and the apples from their skins. Add the squash, apples and shallots into a large saucepan. Pour in chicken broth and wine (or apple juice)simmer for 30 min.
After the 30 minutes are up add 1 tsp ancho chili powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes, let simmer for 30 min more.
Then blend the ingredients together with an immersion blender or in a blender in batches.
* at this point the soup is great to freeze if you are making this ahead of time*
About 30 minutes before you are going to enjoy the soup, add with milk and shredded parmesan cheese. Heat over low heat until it is heated through. Garnish with more cheese.

A quick side note, I would not try making this recipe in the crockpot. I have tried in previous years, and was disapointed in the texture.

This year I added Martha Stewarts Bacon Jam. However, I did tweak it a bit to make it "paleo friendly" for a few of my friends! If you google it you will find the original recipe, but I will share what I did.

Bacon Jam

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 medium yellow onions, diced small
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup brewed coffee

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet (reserve for another use); add onions and garlic, and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar, maple syrup, and coffee and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes. Add bacon and stir to combine.
Transfer mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Transfer to a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Let cool, then refrigerate in airtight containers, up to 4 weeks.





Making this soup and the jam made my house smell so homey and "fally" yesterday!! What a great way to start the season!

1 comment: