Friday, October 4, 2013

Friday Morning Musings......

Once upon a time, in a lifetime far, far away I was a "Monica". For those of you who had other pursuits in the 90's and early 2000's then following the antics of 6 friends in New York city I will explain.
The tv show FRIENDS was a perfect show to lure in the "Save by the Bell" generation. It satisfied the longing we had to have a "posse" that "Saved by the Bell: the College Years" didn't do. Everyone who watched a show had a character that they could identify with. Mine was Monica.
Monica was the super organized, cleaning guru of the group (some might say she was a control freak and a bit germaphobic,but I am not one of those people). When I lived on my own my books, cds and dvd's were organized by genre and then by author/artist in alphabetical order. My apartment was pristine, everything had a place, and if it didn't fit one of the categories is was hidden in a deep dark closet.
In case there are some of you reading this that think I "became" Monica to emulate the character on the show let me explain that I was like this since a child. My mother had to hide the shapie markers so that I wouldn't outline the toys on the shelf so that my sisters would know exactly where things went, and don't even get my started on how I kept my dollhouse!
But there is a bigger point of this blog post then reminicing about one of the best shows of all time. I would really, really like it if they made a follow up episode showing how Monica dealt with raising twins. I want to see how she managed to keep her house clean, because I don't have twins, but I have had to "relax" my standards.
When I had my Little Professor I tried my best to keep up the "Monica" style of housekeeping. During every nap I would painstakingly organize his board books alphabetically. I wiped down his toys every night to clean them. I mopped the floors everyday, and nothing was out of place. Then my little Roo came along, and all assemblance of order went out the window, and got shoved in deep dark places only the brave are willing to enter.
All of this hit me today as I was getting ready for the day and realized I was standing on my pjs, yes, on not in. Instead of placing them where they go, the proper laundry basket, I took them off and left them on the floor! Oh, the horror!!!! The 1999 me would be agast with terror! What have I become?
Oh yeah, I became a mother. Instead of having to clean up after one person, I have three other people to clean up after, and take care of, and entertain and drive around.
In my mind I long to be the perfectly organized mother. My home filled with pretty things that help stimulate my children's intellectual growth, a chart documenting what should happen everytime of the day. My children would always be dressed like the kids in the GYMBOREE ads. My house would inspire others and pictures of my organizational skills would dominate PINTEREST. And while I am living in a dream world, woodland creatures would frolic in my backyard, but they wouldn't be talking because that would be creepy.
I wonder if Monica's home would fall into disrepair. I wonder if she would she would still organize her towels into categories or just be happy that there were clean towels in a laundry basket. I would like to think that motherhood mellowed her out, that she would figure out as I have that taking time to sit down and play LEGOS is more important than making sure the LEGOS were organized in perfect boxes. That having a tea party with mismatched tea sets is more precious than making sure the tea sets match.
(this picture would make the 1999 me cringe in disgust, the 2013 me is going to leave it a bit messy and go play house with my little Roo)

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister! Although I was never super organized, I will definitely agree that it is quite the adjustment when you are living with tiny humans! Oh... and a rather large man-child? LOL You are doing a great job though, I see that every day in your posts and pics!

    ReplyDelete