Friday, October 25, 2013

On My Soapbox

I do my best to keep this blog lighthearted. I try not to "preach" or toss out opinions that could bring up conflict or start drama. However, something recently has come up and I feel strongly about it, so please bear with me, and after I get this out of my system I will get back to crafting and cooking and general happiness of all sorts!
I am sure you all have seen the controversial picture posted by a mom, Maria Kang entitled "What is Your Excuse?" I have seen the picture and been to her website and have read alot of rebuttles slamming her picture and saying that it is horrible and making "fat people feel bad". Alot of people are saying that she is making fun of heavier people.
After visiting her website I don't see that side of her at all. She has been on a journey just like the rest of us. She has struggled with her weight, eating disorders and other personal issues, and has conquered them. I believe she is sharing the picture as inspriation.
This year is the first year that I have consistently worked out for longer than a month or two. I have been doing Crossfit for 3 months now. I am doing things that if you had told the 16 year old me I would be doing, there is no way I would have believed you since I am asthmatic, dealing with thyroid problems, bad joints and an all around clumsiness! I am seeing results, I have muscle definition that I have never had in my life.
Why am I doing it? The biggest reason if for my health. I want to be around for my kids and my grandkids and be able to keep up with them. For those of you who know my little Roo, you understand what a challenge that is. I am also doing it as an example for my kids. We have a problem of obesity in this country. I want my family to be part of the solution to that! I want my kids to grow up thinking the excersise is just part of your day and never have to develop the habit.
Getting back to Maria Kang, I personally, don't believe she is saying that you have to look like her, I think she is saying, what is your excuse for not being physically fit? We all are not going to look like her. Her job is to work out, mine is not, mine is to run around and take care of my house and children.
As a Christian I believe my body is God's temple. To be a good steward of that temple I need to keep it in good shape by what I choose to do with my body and what I put into it.
I shall now step down from the soapbox and go craft something!

2 comments:

  1. Agree 100%! That's exactly why I started a more structured workout routine and started challenging myself - here's to more muscle definition and the energy to chase our kids around for years :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kate! :) Woman need to support woman; not tear each other apart. I believe her heart was in the right place- to motivate and encourage. Online bullying at it's finest. Praying she overcomes this.

    ReplyDelete