Friday, November 18, 2011

Back to My Childhood

When we were growing up we always had oatmeal at least one morning a week. My favorite way to have it was with maple syrup and raisins. When I got to college instant maple brown sugar oatmeal became my between class snack.
This afternoon I decided to bake some cookies, my husband had mention oatmeal cookies last week and so I decided to whip some up. When I discovered I had no more vanilla I decided to try to bring back some of those oatmeal tastes. I took a basic oatmeal cookie recipe and switched it up a little.
I came out with a wonderful chewy oatmeal cookie that tastes even better than the oatmeal....so maybe cookies for breakfast tomorrow?

Maple Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Position a rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk together throroughly:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Beat on medium speed until well blended:
1/2 pound butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 tsp maple flavoring or real maple syrup

Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until well blended and smooth. Stir in : 3 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats, and 1 cup chopped raisins.

Drop dough onto baking sheets about a tsp at a time. Sprinkle with raw sugar then then press to flatten slightly. Bake at 350 for 9 minutes. (I baked mine on my stone and so it took about 15 minutes for them to bake). Let them rest for about 2 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment