Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Ebenezer

In the Old Testement the idea of "building an ebenezer" is brought up. These were piles of stones ment to guide and remind the Children of Israel of God's past help and faithfulness. Last year, on May 9th I had the most terrifying day I have ever experienced. That was day my little Roo had her biggest seizure episode. She had to be sedated for about 5 hours, intubated and flown by helicopter to Children's Hospital in DC. As the anniversary was getting close alot of the feelings I felt that day were starting to pop up. I remember the fear, the helplessness and despair. However, I have decided that instead of being a slave to those feelings, I would choose to use this anniversary to "build an ebenezer" of God's faithfulness. While those horrible feelings that I had were real, there were also an overhwhelming peace, a peace that is beyond understanding, a peace that could only come from God. I have chosen to do my best to focus on those feelings instead of the negative ones. So yesterday, on the anniversary we threw a celebration bbq, in a way celebrating my ebenezer, a party celebrating God's faithfulness. While the dads looked kinda shell shocked at the noise and confusion of it all, all the moms weren't fazed...it was the controlled chaos that happens when you but a TON of kids in one place.
It was indeed a celebration! All the kids played outside, apprently there were tons of ladybugs out there, and they were on a mission to catch them! All the kids looked tired and dirty as they were leaving!
I am so grateful to my military family. Last year they cried with me, this year they celebrated with me!! As I watched my little Roo play and be a kid (including getting hurt multiple times and giving mommy heart palpatations!) I couldn't help remember how small and helpless she looked last year. As I watched her run around I remember how scared I was that she would have physical limitations. I am so grateful for the miracle that is my daughter!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to remember that day and turn it into something good. I need to learn to do that. My heart swells reading this and realizing how you're maturing in the Lord. You make me proud.

    ReplyDelete