Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Happy 2014

2013 kind of sped by for me. Historians will say that it happened and that there were individul events, but it just kinda all mushed together for me.

So onto 2014!

Two of my friends posted the same article of facebook that challenged the reader that instead of coming up with a list of New Years Resolutions, to come up with a word that they would like to have dominate their year. After much thinking, I decided that I want my word to be CONSISTENCY. (for my fellow "Modern Family" friends picture me clapping and saying "yay" every time I type the word)

I love to start things. I start things well. However, the follow through is a little rough. I have quite the list of excuses, everything from, "it wasn't the right system for me", to "the organizer wasn't pretty enough to make me want to use it". Now that my kids are older consistency (yay) is getting to be very important. Not only do I want to show a good example to them, I also want them to know that I am someone they can depend on, in both the promises I make to them and the disciplinary aspect of parenting.

I am taking the month of January to "overload" myself on information so I can weed through things and start establishing routines. I read Gretchen Rubin's "Happier at Home", and have been challened to go through my home room by room this month and get rid of things and make my home more peaceful. She suggests in her book making a lists of tasks that you really don't want to do and work on them 15 minutes a day. I really like that idea and am working on my list. I tend to jump into the "yucky" tasks and get tired out a quarter of the way through and get left with a bigger mess than when a started. Plus, doing it this way will help me practice consistency!

One of the things that she mentioned in her book that I am really looking forward to doing is creating "shrines". Now if you are like me, I orginally cringed at the word "shrine" because to me that invoked an idea of creating a place of worship, but that wasn't her meaning at all. Her idea is to group your possessions to highlight their meaning for you. For example..... I have a set of three shelves above our "coffee bar" right next to our dining room table. It is the perfect place to display knick-knacks. I have had the shelves there for over a year and they have been a revolving door of things. My dear hubby and I have different tastes when it comes to things displayed so the shelves have also been a source of shall we say, some lively "discussions".

Yesterday I decided that the shelves were a good place to start. They are in a very central place in our living area, so I decided to make them a "shrine" to our family.

The middle shelve houses special family heirlooms that came from my grandparents houses.

I think it is important that our children grow up with a strong sense of family. I want them to understand where they came from. It was a fun project yesterday, I can't wait to finish it when I get pictures developed and put up there!

So if you had to pick a word for 2014 what would it be?




No comments:

Post a Comment