Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bringing the Sunshine In

Today is a very wet, very cold day outside. I really don't mind days like this when I don't have a ton of errands to run or places to go. I got to spend a very peaceful two hours in the kitchen while my little ones were napping/resting.
Tonight is Book Club (one of my favorite nights of the month). We each bring a snack to snack on. I decided to try an idea that I found on Pinterest. It is a healthy snack, as most of us are trying to get healthier. Sweet Potato Hummus. The bright orange color really brought the sunshine inside the house today.
I used the recipe I found as inspiration, switching a couple of things here and there. I really had to switch some things around since I found out I had no tahini, that the original called for (learning moment: check and make sure you have all the ingredients the recipe calls for and depend on your memory of once having alot of tahini!).
I plan to serve it with some toasted milk and honey bread as well as some sliced apples.



1 cup baked sweet potato (skin removed)
1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans, drained (save the juice)
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
2 TBSP saved garbanzo bean juice
4 TBSP Olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
1-2 tsp agave or
1 TBSP frozen orange juice concentrate
2 tsp smoked paprika (plus more for sprinkling)


Directions:

1. Add all the ingredients to a Food Processor (I don't have my food processor yet, so I used an immersion blender and that worked quite well).
2. Pulse or blend until smooth. For chunkier hummus - pulse the mixture and keep a few of the beans half-chopped instead of pureed.


It was very easy to throw together and very, very yummy! What is even better....it is good for you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment