Sunday, February 26, 2012

Spring Cleaning - Day 1

Today I started my week of spring cleaning. My hubby is out of town this week, so it is the perfect time to clean, since before it is all done it usually looks like a tornado has torn through the house.
My first room to tackle was my dining room. I did the typical things like dusting and windows. Then I went through our coats that were on the coat rack and moved the heavy ones upstairs. I also went through the shoes and weeded out the ones that don't need to be down here.
I tried something new I heard about when it came time to clean the baseboards. I wiped them down, and then when they were dry I wiped them down with a dryer sheet. This is supposed to help repell the dust, we shall see how it works.
To reward myself on my clean dining room I decided to make a table runner that I have wanted to make for awhile.
It is a piece of burlap one foot wide and long enough to have 9 inches on each side hanging over the table.
I added some lace from my re-purposed previous table runner.
I was planning on doing just the burlap and lace, but decided it needed a splash of color, so I added some red ribbon that I had gotten for 50 cents on clearance at Michaels.
My original plan was to add words like, "eat", "nourish", and "munch", but I kinda like the way it looks as is. I can always add them later!


Sidenote: when sewing onto burlap always sew "zig zag", also don't think that just because there are lines on burlap that it is easy to cut in a straight line!

No comments:

Post a Comment