Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Name is Kate....and Yes, we are Self Proclaimed Foodies

Once a year my husband and I place a rather large order at Penzeys.com. They have, in my opinion, the best dried herbs, spices and flavorings.
Our order came in while my hubby was away, so now that he is back we put all the goodies away and have a very full spice cabinet!
We have so many that we had to divide it between two shelves.


With all these lovely spices and herbs at my disposal I decided to try something new last night for dinner. A curried roasted cauliflower soup.
My husband loves curry and other Indian flavors, but that is really not in my comfort zone. But I decided to dive right in. It was a wonderful, flavorful soup, and really, really healthy!

Curried Roasted Cauliflower Soup
1 head of cauliflower cut up into pieces
3 large carrots cut up in to 1 " pieces
1 head of garlic cut in half
2 TBSP olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 granny smith apple, diced
2 cans chicken broth
2 tsp sweet curry powder
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 tsp hot curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 cup Greek yogurt (you can also use regular yogurt, I just happened to have Greek on hand)

Put the cauliflower, garlic and carrots on a baking sheet drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 425 for 40 minutes.
In a large pot drizzle about another tablespoon of olive oil and heat on medium heat. Once oil is hot add onions, celery and the apple. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add roasted vegetables and chicken broth. Add in all the spices. Cook down for about 45 minutes.
Once it is cooked down use an immersion blender or regular blender to blend it well, it should be thick, if you want a thinner soup just add more chicken broth. When it is blended add the cup of yogurt and bring it back up to temperature over medium heat. It took about 20 minutes


I made the soup during naptime, up to the part where you add the yogurt. It was really easy to finish at dinner time. I served mine with some sliced apples on top to add a bit of sweetness and crunch.

1 comment:

  1. My husband's aunt gave us some Penzey's for Christmas. I've used the chili seasoning, and we really liked it. I haven't used the other one yet. But my father-in-law raves about Penzey's.

    ReplyDelete