Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tradtions

As I have gotten older I am more thankful for traditions. This time of the year makes me think through them. In my family growing up, every Christmas Eve we went down to Union Station in DC to look at the Christmas decorations and then after dinner would drive around and look at lights. And then because of allergies we had a "fake" tree, and it was always fun trying to figure out the branches!
I have enjoyed starting traditions with my family as well. Being military, you move around alot, and last year I loved being able to take our kids to get a Christmas tree at the same place we did the year before. It is a nice luxury to go back to the familiar.
Last year my friends and I discovered the most awesome pumpkin patch! We spend the whole day there and wore all the kids out.
This is a picture of my kiddos last year at the patch
This is a picture of them this year....lots of changes!!! (including being alot harder to pose this year as they are both so mobile!)
We added a few new friends this year. One thing about being in the military is that your "family" is always flexible. Some years we may have 5 families going, the next year 15.
I love traditions. They are so special. I am treasuring these times with my kids because I know before long they are going to be grown up and making traditions of their own.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, one comment, other than I like the post. The "cursing of the lights was not us", us was Nana and Papa Mac. We never had light problems, because Mom always did that while I was unpacking everything. Dad

    ReplyDelete