Thursday, October 6, 2011

Trial and Sweet Error!

On Sunday my dear husband and I attempted homemade orange marmalade. After watching the "Barefoot Contessa" make it on her show we have wanted to try making it. I mean if they eat it in the Hamptons it has to be good. I had inadvertently read "4 oranges" and "5 lbs of oranges". So we doubled the batch. Keep in mind we had never attempted jams or jellies or any such thing before.
In doubling the recipe we didn't consider adjusting the cooking time. There was a lot of "this isn't jelling fast enough", "I think I burned it", and "this just doesn't look right". However, we gamely trudged ahead with it, putting it in jars and telling ourselves "all will be better when it cools."
By Tuesday it had cooled down enough to jell, and although looking a bit darker than most marmalade looked like it had potential.
I didn't try it until this morning after baking some cranberry scones. Keep in mind, I have never had orange marmalade before, but I thought it was simply yummy! It was a nice mid-morning snack.
Now I feel comfortable sharing the marmalade with friends since I know it actually tastes good.

Both the marmalade recipe and the scone recipe are Ina Gartens and can be found on foodnetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment