Monday, October 3, 2011

A Tale From Mommyland

This year has stretched me alot! I had previously thought that I had a pretty decent handle on "mommyhood". I mean, really, how hard could it be?
Then God gave me my little Roo. I love her to pieces, but this little girl is constantly teaching me that I need more patience, more wisdom and more creativity when it comes to being a mommy.
My son was a pretty easy going baby and toddler. He had his moments as all little ones do, but overall was pretty easy.
My biggest struggle with Roo comes from her health problems earlier in the years. She has had multiple seizures and most of them came right after I disciplined her. The doctors have assured me that one didn't have anything to do with the other, but it has still kept me from disciplining her as I should. When she acts up I flash back to that horrible day when I thought I was going to loose her. I see her hooked up to all the machines and watching a machine breathe for my little girl. It still terrifies me.
She is now about 19 months old and has figured out how to manipulate me. She acts out because she knows that I will comfort and try to calm her down instead of disciplining her. This has made for a stressful home, which I don't like.
After alot of praying this morning God told me that it is my responsibility to train her, the rest is in His hands. She was His child before He gave her to me. He can keep her safer than I ever could. He was there when she was sick and He was holding her in the palm of His hand. Nothing happens to her that He doesn't know about.
So we are trying some new things. She is at the age where she is very easily distracted. I made a "time out" jar for her this morning.
With some glitter glue, food coloring, hot water and some loose glitter, I made a jar that I plan to shake when she starts getting ready to throw one of her temper tantrums. I am hoping that watching the glitter fall will distract her and calm her down, I think it might help me too. I also need to be more consistent with discipline. I wouldn't have allowed my son to act the way I let her act, so I can't let this behavior go on.
So if you think about it, please pray for me in this. Pray that God will give me the strength and wisdom to train her to be a godly woman.

2 comments:

  1. Time out jar is a great idea! Always praying for you guys - you know I love you both (and your other little guy) so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Let us know how it works (wonder if it would've worked for EM!) :)
    And of course we always pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete